Wednesday, August 12, 2009

1st Day of Horror

Today started out like any first day of school, actually better because I actually got up before my kids and made french toast and woke them up sweetly, blah blah blah. I was on a role, felt relaxed. It was going to be a great day, full of grocery shopping, and hanging out with Hailee. I drop the kids off at school, early :) Hailee has been begging me to take her to the park, and well it is only 89 degrees, so not to horribly bad, I'll sit in the shade. We go to the park. My friend is at the park with her 3 year old twins. I want to help her out, so I offer to watch her boys and I offer to bring them home when we are done playing. Friend is happy. While kids are happily playing I remember I have to return a call. A little later Hailee says she has to go to the bathroom, so I figure it's a good time to go, so I call for the boys and start to put Hailee in the car. Hey Aaron, where's Ben? "He walked that way" (Toward the school) OH MY GOSH!
I sprint across the field, and he is no where! I call his mom, and tell her that I can't find her son. She hangs up and is on her way, I run back and get the kids in my car and drive around the school to see if he is walking around the neighborhood. I am literally praying out loud. Then I call the front office to see if they happen to have a lost boy. Some guy on a bike found him walking and brought him there. 'Relief' doesn't even give my feelings justice. I am bawling and shaking at the thought of losing a child not to mention someone else's child. I finally find my friend who is bawling and give her Ben. She had called the police to help us find Ben, so we have to let the police know everything is okay. I had to admit to the policeman that I was on a phone call and wasn't paying attention. And then get mildly scolded. "Do you have other children?" Shocked that this would even happen... "You have to be careful, there are bad guys out there" Oh I feel so stupid! I don't think I have ever been so scared in my entire life!
Later that day, after laying down for a bit to calm down, I go outside and get my mail. My first ever speeding ticket! Kinda sad...I've never been pulled over, and they flashed my picture on my way back from the cabin...Darn STAR VALLEY! $187.00! This day is getting better and better. I went and laid down again. I'm waiting for 3:00 to come so I can get my kids from school. Hopefully they have some exciting news to cheer me up a bit. I drive on down the road at 2:55 and here they come, walking down the road, almost home. What the??? How did you get here so fast? "Mom, you are sooooo late!" What? It's not even 3:00 yet. Did you get out early and they not tell me? I am utterly confused. I go home look in their bags for paper work and find the times. OHHHH, it's Wednesday, you got out at 2:20????? You waited a half an hour for me???
Can I just go to bed now and start over tomorrow? I quit! But please first, will you nominate me for worst mother of the year?

4 comments:

Halvos said...

Oh my goodness Jenny!! First of all, don't be so hard on yourself! What a blessing Ben was ok!! And, I have to laugh that you got a ticket because seriously?? Your FIRST one? EVER? You can't go through life without ever getting a speeding ticket...that is a pretty steep fee though! And you kinda had other things on your mind to not realize what time your kids got out of school--they'll survive! :) -- and so will you!! There's always tomorrow! Love you!

Crissybug said...

Lori is right. Don't be so hard on yourself. I know that you had to have felt horrible, but everything turned out okay. What a crazy day. Here's to a better one!

Julie said...

Wow! Nominee for one of the worst days EVAH---sure, sure. But if you nominee for worst mother of the year, then the rest of us are right there with ya!

Tomorrow is always better!

Unknown said...

What a day! I've totally picked up my daughter super-late on the first date as well, not realizing it was early release.

And that RAT in the TOILET is pretty disturbing. I'm gagging.