Thursday, January 28, 2010

Feeling Joy!

I am so excited for a few things going on recently, 1) I have been trying for a very long time to find a contact at a news station to interview my boss Shelle Soelberg (Let's Play Music). She has built this awesome music program and it would be fun to see her talk about it on the news. I've emailed and emailed, even made a few calls, but nothing. A couple weeks ago, I took Tyson to a baseball clinic and channel 12 happened to be there. It took me the whole hour and a half to get up the courage to go talk to the man with the camera. I asked him what it was that he did and he told me about the show "Valley Dish" that airs daily at 4:30. I told him what I was interested in and he said he was the guy to talk to, so I got his email and long story short, he's coming to Shelle's class next week-which Hailee is in, and is going to video the class and interview Shelle! I am so excited! Don't know when it will air, but I'm sure I can figure out how to post the link when it comes out.
2) Last week one of the councilors of the Relief Society asked me if I had any original songs that would fit their "Visiting Teaching" lesson. I had found one that is called "Sisters", and gave it to her and was planning on doing that one. As I thought more about it, I started getting ideas for a song. I haven't written a song in 3-4 years and I've been praying all this time for an idea that could make a difference to someone. I thought my days of singing and writing were over. So I started with just a paragraph and left it. Then the next day another paragraph came. From then on, it was like a really good book you just have to finish so you can get on with your life. I couldn't stop thinking about it. I prayed and studied anything I could find on sisters, or women being angels. I thought about a neighbor of mine that is always helping people even though she has 6 kids of her own. A few times as I was writing, I just had this feeling overwhelm me and I would sob. Last weekend we had some of Steve's family over and I asked them if I could sing it for them. The next morning our Aunt Lisa Neilson passed away and as they were planning the funeral over the next few days they asked me if I would sing the song at her funeral. This pushed me to finish it, so a few days ago, I put it into sheet music and gave it to the pianist and sang it today for the first time. It was such an honor to share this song with everyone. Afterwards I was overwhelmed by the kind comments and tears that were expressed about how the song perfectly described Lisa and how it had touched them. Now I know why I had to write it. Each word describes her. I did not know her well, but God does and helped me write this song for her. Want to hear it? Keep bugging me and maybe I'll record it sooner. :)

1 comment:

Summertime Designs said...

First of all, that is awesome about you being brave and talking to the news guy. I remember Shelle Soelberg. Many years ago I was babysitting for my dad's cousin and her son was in the Let's Play Music with Shelle. I was amazed as I watched her interact with these kids. She truly has a gift. That will be so neat for her (and Hailee) to be on the news. Way to go!

Secondly, what a neat experience you must have had to write that song. Isn't amazing how timing works out that way? Heavenly Father just knows how to make things fit exactly into place. What a blessing for you to be so inspired. I am sure you touched more lives then the ones who came and told you. And YES, I want to hear it!!!