Here's another doozy. It's not that big of a deal, and I wish there was a way to make this long story short, but here goes... I have a child that likes to put off homework until the last minute. I know I'm probably the only one who has this problem :)
I'm not a fan of homework on the weekends, but her teacher sure is. Almost every weekend they have to write a spelling story and type it out. Well, it takes her forever because she's not a typer yet! Anyway, I have been trying to get her to do her homework before Sunday, because it's a brain drain to hear on Sunday night before bedtime..."Oh no! I have a story to do!" Wah wah wah! Last weekend she let us know after church that she had homework and a test. She had a few hours before we went to the cousins house for the big Super Bowl hoo rah, Here's the dialogue:
Me: "Well, you can do it now with help, or when we get home tonight at 9:00 with no help."
I was taken off guard when she said, "I'll do it tonight".
Me: "Okay" :)
She goes and relaxes the day away and then we come home and it's time for bed.
Sadie: "Oh NOOOOOO!"
Me: "What's wrong?"
Sadie: "I'm too tired, I can't do it tonight"
Me: "That's okay, we can wake you up extra early tomorrow"
Sadie: "I'm just not going to go to school!"
Me: "Well, that's not really an option, so do you want to stay up tonight, or wake up extra early?"
Sadie: "You can't make me go"
Me: "You're probably right, so you will have to explain to the secretary why you are home"
Sadie: "Fine, I'll wake up early"
Steve and I have a discussion about what will happen in the morning when she doesn't get everything done. We decide to have a little training session. I will call the secretary and tell her whats going on and ask her to help us teach her a little responsibility. (I'm dreading this by the way)
Steve tries to wake her up, and she decides not to get up. I wake her up with everyone else and she starts working on her homework. "I'm just going to go in late"
Me: "Who's going to take you?"
Sadie: "Can't you?"
Me: "It's gonna cost ya:)"
She finishes her test and decides to go to school without doing the story. While she is getting ready, I call the secretary and tell her I'm trying to teach my child some responsibility and ask her if she wouldn't mind helping me out. The secretary was actually very happy to do it. She even said "Gladly"
(Now in Sadie's defence, she really is a good student and would never want to disappoint any teacher so even a word from this woman is going to crush her)
I drop Sadie off, give her a hug and say, "Good luck, have a great day"
I leave the school feeling like the meanest mom. I am starting to panic wondering what the secretary will say to her, or if it will make her cry because she tends to cry easily. The secretary can be quite serious. I call the sec. when I get home and ask her how it went. She said she asked her why she was late and Sadie said she had to do a few things before coming to school. Sec says "Oh, your mom said it was because you didn't do your homework. You do have all weekend to do it" Sadie gave her a look of horror like she'd been caught. And then in class because she didn't finish her story her teacher made her sit on the wall for recess. At dinner that night Steve asked her how it went at school and she dropped her head and said she didn't want to talk about it. Soooooo we'll see if that worked or not the next time she has homework on the weekend. Looking back, I don't know why I was so scared to call the secretary -I seriously about cried. It wasn't as mean as I thought it was. We shall see...
2 comments:
Love the examples. You guys are so awesome. I really need to get to that point where I can keep my frustration out of the situation. That will be the day.
Also, I was just catching up on past posts and I saw the one about your new song. I can't wait to hear it. I'm expecting my own personal concert on the beach in Hawaii. Wow, that sounds like so much fun! We are counting down the days! Talk to ya soon.
GOOD FOR YOU!! Let me know if it works! :)
Post a Comment