
Soooo, last night as we were putting the kids to bed, the heater kicked on for the night. Soon there was a horrible smell. You know- like the smell when your heater goes on the first time- except it kept getting worse and worse. It was making me sick and it was especially bad in the children's room, so we were going to let them sleep upstairs.
While Steve was getting them settled in, I started looking for a number you can call for non-emergency things. I came upon the police non-emergency number. I just wanted to know what smells are dangerous, and if it was something I needed to worry about. We had already checked the attic and around the house and found nothing on fire, so I just wanted to make sure, because now I was getting a headache.
I called and spoke to a lady and told her what I was smelling. She asked me if there was smoke in the house, and I told her it was a little hazy, but we've checked everything and I just wanted to know what kind of smells are dangerous. She quickly said, "Get your kids and get out of the house!"---very firmly. "The Fire Dept. will be there in a minute." (Just Great!)
Steve was not very happy with me. :(
Next thing I knew, there were 2 fire engines, an ambulance, a load of police cars, the fire chief himself, and of course blue and red lights flashing for all to see. Why not send just 1-2 men???? I walked out to greet them and told them about the smell. Firefighter after firefighter walked through my house fully armed. Of course they couldn't find anything either. So we checked the heater and found the source of the smell. The heater broke, and wouldn't turn on. We still don't know what is wrong exactly, but there has to be some sort of wire that got exposed to the rain and caused this horrible electrical burning odor in my house! Hopefully our AC man calls us back soon so I can tell him all the excitement our heater caused. I feel bad that they all had to come, but at least we are all okay.
I think we scared the neighbors pretty bad. Just about all of them stopped by or called to make sure everything was okay. I feel so loved in this neighborhood! Oh, Steve's sister Vikki-(who lives upstairs) came home in the middle of it. I can't imagine what that would be like to drive up to your house with all that action going on! She was a little freaked out. But--all is well. :) Thanks to all the 25 firefighters who would have rescued us if we needed!!!
While Steve was getting them settled in, I started looking for a number you can call for non-emergency things. I came upon the police non-emergency number. I just wanted to know what smells are dangerous, and if it was something I needed to worry about. We had already checked the attic and around the house and found nothing on fire, so I just wanted to make sure, because now I was getting a headache.
I called and spoke to a lady and told her what I was smelling. She asked me if there was smoke in the house, and I told her it was a little hazy, but we've checked everything and I just wanted to know what kind of smells are dangerous. She quickly said, "Get your kids and get out of the house!"---very firmly. "The Fire Dept. will be there in a minute." (Just Great!)
Steve was not very happy with me. :(
Next thing I knew, there were 2 fire engines, an ambulance, a load of police cars, the fire chief himself, and of course blue and red lights flashing for all to see. Why not send just 1-2 men???? I walked out to greet them and told them about the smell. Firefighter after firefighter walked through my house fully armed. Of course they couldn't find anything either. So we checked the heater and found the source of the smell. The heater broke, and wouldn't turn on. We still don't know what is wrong exactly, but there has to be some sort of wire that got exposed to the rain and caused this horrible electrical burning odor in my house! Hopefully our AC man calls us back soon so I can tell him all the excitement our heater caused. I feel bad that they all had to come, but at least we are all okay.
I think we scared the neighbors pretty bad. Just about all of them stopped by or called to make sure everything was okay. I feel so loved in this neighborhood! Oh, Steve's sister Vikki-(who lives upstairs) came home in the middle of it. I can't imagine what that would be like to drive up to your house with all that action going on! She was a little freaked out. But--all is well. :) Thanks to all the 25 firefighters who would have rescued us if we needed!!!
3 comments:
I am glad everything was okay...better safe than sorry, right? :)
Thank goodness you're all okay...pretty funny for all you shy people!
Wow! It Could have been worse and better to be safe then sorry. Hey It's me! Heidi Brady Ball! I found your blog through your sisters through my sister. Blogstocking is fun to see what others are up too! I can't believe you still look the same and your kids are so adorable!
Post a Comment