Thursday, November 12, 2009

L and L

Steve and I have been studying Love and Logic parenting for a few years. Well, we have finally bit the bullet and are getting trained to be Love and Logic facilitators. (Steve mainly)--I have enough to do :)
Since we have been studying and applying these methods, it has brought such peace to our home. 3 years ago I was screaming at my kids a lot, and having anxiety attacks, and seriously depressed because I felt like I was a horrible mother and nothing was going my way. Oh, and I had stupid tumors in my arm that kept coming back. So life was a little stressful. I was even taking anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds to help, but all it did was make me more tired, and unfeeling. Then someone told me about Love and Logic. I started checking the books out from the library. Steve was going to school for child development at the time and we just started eating it up. It has taken a while to change how we speak to our kids, but now most of the time, we find ourselves laughing because when we say things right, it works so easily and effortlessly. So, every once in a while, I would like to share stories of everyday situations and how I am applying this. I don't handle it perfectly all the time, but I am getting better- and I feel more calm, patient and like I am a fun mom again. (actually, I don't know if I ever was until now)
Here's a good one from today:
I'm skipping through the stuff that led up to...
Child #1 punches child#2 because #2 won't share the last of the waffles.
Mom: "Oh, this is so sad. I can't help you now"
#1: "Now I have nothing to eat!"
Mom: "Well, there are a few cereal choices, or bagels, or toast. Which one would you like?"
#1: "Nothing, I want waffles"
Mom: "So sorry :("
#1: "You're so stupid mom! Why don't you use your brain?"
(Now, at this point, how many of us would SO like to start yelling, grounding, slapping, throwing them in their room???- The old me would have done all that!)
Mom: "Wow, that was kinda sad!"
#1: "I'm not going to SCHOOL either!!!"
(Can you tell #1 was just looking for a fight?)
Mom: "Well, that's not really a choice, but you do have a choice about how you would like to go to school. You can go in your pajamas, or you can go in school clothes. You can also go to school hungry, or you can go full. Lots of choices!" (I walked out of the room so he could think.)
#1 goes to kitchen and gets some cereal. I leave him alone. I'm doing #2's hair and I hear #1 practicing piano. (bonus! I thought that would go out the door)
Mom: "Time to go to school!"
#2 gets to ride bike to school with friends, #1 gets to ride with mom :)
#1: "Why do I have to go in the car?"
Mom: "Well, kids who call their mom 'stupid' get to ride in the car with her. :)"
#1 hugs mom as she drops off to school and leaves with a smile.
Relationship still in tact??? I think so!
#1 might get upset again when he/she gets home and asks to play with friends today and I say, "Oh sweety, I'll let you play with friends when I don't have to worry about being called 'stupid'." (...Let ya know how that one pans out.)

3 comments:

Julie said...

Thank you for sharing, Jenny! I DEFINITELY wouldn't have handled that as well as you! In fact, the child would probably have lost the appendages to be able to practice that piano! Ü

As usual you are an inspiration!

p.s. What do you mean you have enough to do???? Ü

Halvos said...

Wow, I'm raging inside just READING this! I want to slap them FOR YOU! I'm so lucky I have you to learn from! I'm amazed how CALMLY you handled that! Seriously? Unbelievable--and I love the choices you gave them--I would not have thought of those. Who needs to read the books now that we have your blog to learn from?!! L & L needs to start paying YOU for advertising! Love you!

sheri said...

Oh MY GOSH! You kids would have been HAMBURGER if you had dared to talk to me like that...no choices available. You're a much better person than we are!!!Good job honey.
Love, Mom & Dad