Thursday, February 5, 2009

WHAT KIND OF SPIDER IS THIS???


After I was done teaching yesterday, I was walking the last of the students down the stairs and out the gate when Sadie says "Mom there is a huge spider on the gate!" Fully expecting a wolf spider, I was totally freaked out when I saw this!!! I have NEVER seen anything like this before! It looked like a small terantula! It's body was as big as a big grape, so my guess is it is pregnant. I can't kill things this big and look at the location! Not an easy kill! I waited for Steve to get home. It was still there, and he grabbed a broom and hit it a few times, but it fell between some cracks in the wood plank floor and I don't know if it is dead or alive. I am completely freaked out. I'm almost possitive it is a Brown Recluse- which are horribly deadly!!! And if it is pregnant! Aaahhhhh- I'm just going to believe that it is dead! Bug man sprayed the day before, which is why it was out in the day time I am sure. You know- scorpions are one thing- I've killed so many now, I'm not even scared of them- I'm angry at them, but they don't scare me anymore. They can't kill you! Anyway, has anyone ever seen a brown recluse and can confirm my feelings??? Can they get this big???
Aaaaahhhhh! I live in a jungle!

5 comments:

Crissybug said...

okay...that is freaky. I think I would have died. Try to google brown recluse images, and see if the pictures match. From what I have read the Recluse has a violin shaped pigment on its head.

Whatever it is...I am with you. I hope it is dead!

Julie said...

Well if crissy bug is right then this might all make sense. The spider clearly is musically minded and was simply hanging out by your LPM classroom cuz he heard everybody chanting about how much they like bugz!

Still, I hope you don't encounter him again!

Aleia said...

I hope I never run into a spider like that! He looks mean!

Lyle and Jaime said...

Scary! I have researched brown recluse spiders because there's a relative of them here in Idaho every where!!! Brown Recluse usually are not in arizona because the black widow is there. Also, they don't get very big. full grown their leg span is no bigger then a quarter. Plus the older ones are dark and the younger ones are light. What ever he was is is gross and I hope he is dead! Good luck!

I can't believe Sadie is 10!!!!

rvan said...

Ok, this freaks me out, because I'm just down the street. And knowing my luck, it's not dead and it's going to find it's way down to my house!!! Creepy!!! Maybe the scorpions will get her??? It will probably be the only time we are grateful for scorpions huh?